It is imperative to recognize the wide range of female body types to celebrate and embrace the distinctive personality of every woman. However, there is no ideal woman's body type, yet every body type has to be valued and appreciated.
Furthermore, factors like age, lifestyle, and genes can cause changes in body form over time. The most crucial thing is to accept our own body shape and wear clothing that gives a sense of ease and confidence.
According to the Healthline magazine, the general categories for female bodies are triangle, rectangle, diamond, oval, and hourglass. Each of the different body types is lovely, powerful and competent enough.
Let us explore - what are the different types of women's body shapes, what type is yours and how to dress for your body type.
9 Types of Women Body Shapes
Women's body shapes can vary widely, and there is no one-size-fits-all classification. Be proud of your distinctive and unique body shape as what one woman finds appealing might not be the same for another. Here are some broadly classified women's body shapes.
Hourglass body shape
In an hourglass body shape, the bust and hips are nearly of the same size. The female with this body silhouette has a well-defined waist, narrower than bust and hips. It is considered a classic women's body shape.
Inverted triangle body shape
When the shoulders and bust are broader than hips, then it forms an inverted triangle body shape. Waists are less defined in this kind of body form. It is also referred to as the strawberry body shape often found in swimmers.
Rectangle body shape
It is a straight or ruler kind of body shape. The shoulders, bust, waist and hips are of almost the same measurement. It accentuates the athletic figure. It is often called a banana body shape.
Apple shaped body
The large busts and narrow hips with a fuller mid-section define the apple shaped body form. In such body shape, the largest measurement is of the bust size.
Pear shaped body
The shoulders and bust are narrower than hips in a pear body shaped form. The waist is quite well-defined and slopes out to hips. It is also known as the triangle body form.
Oval Body Shape
Women with an oval body shape carry more of their weight in the midsection. They often have larger busts, and their waist is less defined.
Diamond body shape
The diamond body shape is characterized by broad hips, a narrow bust, and a fuller waist. There is more weight in the midsection of the body form.
Spoon Body Shape
The triangle or "pear" form and the spoon body type are quite similar. The hips are wider than your bust or the rest of your body and may have a "shelf" appearance. The region around your waist is probably well-defined.
Curvy Body Shape
Similar to the hourglass shape, but with a more pronounced bust and a slightly smaller waist is curvy body shape. The hip and thigh area tends to be fuller and rounded. This body shape is a classic form and is universally admired.
Top Hourglass Body shape
This body shape resembles an hourglass body form. The waistline is well defined, and a balanced silhouette forms a top hourglass body shape. The shoulders are a bit rounded and broad.
Skinny Body Shape
The skinny body shape refers to a low fat or slim appearance. It lacks prominent curves. The body frame tends to be lean. The bust and hip measurement is much less as compared to the rest of the body shapes. The waist is not defined, and it appears to be a straight body form.
Athletic Body Shape
The proportions of the upper and lower body are balanced. A muscular build, broad shoulders and narrow waist define the athletic body shape. Such body shape is often associated with athletes or the people who regularly engage in vigorous training for sports.
Lollipop Body Shape
This kind of body form is also referred to as cone shaped. Such a body form has narrow hips and is less curvy. The bust size is larger than hips and in proportion to shoulders. The waist is smaller in relation to hips but is well defined.
How to Find Your Body Shape?
Identifying the right body type would help to choose the right clothing style and enhance the natural features. We need to know the proportions and distribution of the body's curves and lines to find the body shape. For this we need to take correct body measurements. Here is the proper guide to help measure the right way.
Shoulders – place a measurement tape from one edge of shoulder to another across the back.
Bust – measure the fullest part of the bust. Make sure the measuring tape is horizontal and should not be too tight.
Waist – Circle the smallest part of the waist. This is usually an inch or two above the belly button and below the rib cage. Use the measuring tape like a belt without pulling too tight.
Hips- Keep the measuring tape parallel to the ground and measure the fullest part of the buttock.
Divide the waist measurement by the hip measurement to get the waist to hip ratio. This helps to define the right body shape.
What Different Factors Affect Women's Body Shapes?
Body shapes of women are influenced and affected by varied factors including hormones, lifestyle, genetics, environment, and even bone structure. Some females have curvier buttocks whereas others may have longer torsos or heavier busts. The height of a female also affects the overall body shape and silhouette.
- Genetics play a vital part in shaping a person's body shape. Genetics, skeletal structure and distribution of fat and muscle form the body proportions. A female may have a natural hourglass, apple-shaped, rectangular or any other body shape based on genetics.
- As a woman ages, she tends to lose muscle mass and changes in metabolism, hormones, and fat distribution also occur. These changes impact women's body shape and form.
- The different phases in a woman’s life like puberty, pregnancy, and menopause impact the size and shape of body components. The measure of bust, waist, and hips often fluctuates due to hormonal changes in these different phases.
- Regular exercises and workouts tone up the muscles and define certain body parts. This gives a curvier shape to the body form and appears more athletic.
- PCOS, PCOD, and thyroid are such medical conditions which impact metabolism and body shape adversely. Females may lose or gain body weight, and this results in the change of the body shape.
- Certain lifestyle choices like smoking, consuming large amounts of alcohol, and high levels of stress have detrimental effects on body shape. These may result in abdominal fat build-up and lead to changes in the basic body shape.
How to Dress for My Body Type?
Dressing for a particular body type is selecting fashion trends that highlight the best aspects while also creating a balanced and proportionate look. Here are some suggestions for dressing for various body types.
Rectangle Body Shape
- Create clothes with clothing that adds volume to the bust and hips.
- Focus on creating a waistline. Belts can help create an illusion of curves.
- Add more prints and patterns to the apparels.
Hourglass Shaped Body
- Highlight the curvy slim waist with belts and fitted apparel.
- V-necks or sweetheart necklines that flatter the bust are a good option.
- Wear clothing that accentuates the curves, like A-line or wrap skirts/dresses.
- Avoid wearing oversized and baggy clothes that give a boxy and shapeless appearance. Opt for fitted and tailored clothing to enhance your style and silhouette.
Inverted Triangle Shape
- Balance the proportions by drawing attention to the lower body.
- Flowy bottoms flared legged lowers, a-line skirts and palazzo are a good option.
- Avoid wearing tops with loud prints or excessive flares.
- Clothing should be draped to avoid the attention from mid-section.
- A-line dresses and waterfall-styled tops are a good option in apparel.
- Shirts that are well-tucked in the waist give good looks to an apple shaped body form.
- Avoid crop uppers and belts.
- Apparels that draw attention on the upper body should be chosen.
- Dark bottoms and light tops will create balanced looks.
- Boat necklines, off-shoulder tops and structured jackets are good options.
Oval Body Shape
- Choose clothing that emphasises more on the waistline.
- Avoid clingy and tight-fitting clothes.
- Empire dresses with cinched waistlines can create a flattering look
Diamond Body Shape
- Accentuate waist with fitted clothing.
- V-neck tops and wrap dresses can highlight the upper body.
- A-line or flared skirts are a good choice to balance the proportions.
Curvy Shaped Body
- Tops with V-necklines and scoops can elongate the upper body.
- Wrap dresses with defined waists can accentuate the curves beautifully.
- High waist pants with tucked-in tops give a chic look
- Skirts and shorts can bring the curve looks attractive
Top Hourglass Body shape
- Tops with narrow V-neckline accentuate the top hourglass form.
- Dark colored tops with jackets can be added in clothing styles.
- Avoid loose lowers, stiff clothes, or baggy jeans.
Skinny Body Shape
- Balloon skirts and baggy jeans should be added to the clothing style.
- Apparels with flowy fabrics and wide stripes add volume to the body form.
- Avoid skinny tops or fitted dresses.
Athletic Body Shape
- Well-fitting knee length dresses look good on athletic body form.
- Belts and waist fitting apparels accentuate the waist area.
- Avoid plunging neckline, halter necks or padded shoulders
Lollipop Body Shape
- Wear dresses like flared jeans, wedges, or wrap skirts.
- Necklines like V-neck, board accentuate the bust and shoulder area.
- Avoid loose and boxy skirts and tops.
How Fly VSJ Helps You Choose the Perfect Dress for Your Body Type?
Selecting the appropriate dress needs an understanding of the body shape. Selecting styles that complement the proportions, emphasize the best features, and produce a flattering silhouette are all part of choosing the appropriate dress for your body type. Here are some key tips.
- The proportions of your shoulders, bust, waist, and hips will help you determine your body type.
- Pick outfits that highlight your best attributes.
- Pay close attention to the dress's neckline.
- Pick textures and materials that complement your body type.
- Don't be scared to try on several outfits and customize them to suit your preferences.
Try on several outfits and find what makes you feel confident and comfortable. Furthermore, having clothing made to your precise dimensions can make a big difference in creating a flattering fit for your body type.
What is the most common female body shape?
The most common female body shape is the oval form of body shape.
What is the rarest body shape among women?
The rarest body shape is the hour glass body form. The females with hourglass body figures have a balanced silhouette with bust and hip measuring almost the same. The waist is well-defined and narrower than bust and hips.
How do I choose clothes for my body type?
How do I check my body shape?
Determine the body shape with the correct measurements of shoulder, bust, waist, and hips. Compare your measurements and waist-to-hip ratio to the common body shape categories.